Friday, December 18, 2009

[Creative Post Title]

I'M IN AFRICA. Woah. Well, I made it here in one piece, and although I didn't have a bed for two days, it was well worth it. I'm sitting in my house now, where I'll be living with 8(?) other students (yes, dad... girls AND boys), and they all seem super awesome. I mean, of course I'd love to be living here with Rak Shalom, but I think I can manage. I don't know if anyone living here would be up for breaking out into Zodiac anytime soon, but I guess I can always Skype with the Rak'ers any time I need a little tune.

I've already been on my orientation tour of Cape Town, and my mommies will be delighted to hear that it reminds me of Palos Verdes! Actually, think about Palos Verdes with a little infusion of Israel, and that should put the right picture in your head. I went food shopping and got my new SIM card for my phone, so I can start calling people soon. Funny story: So, the girl who took me to get my SIM card saw me pull out my Blackberry, and she goes, "Is that your only phone?" And I said, "Yes, why?" And she laughs and says to me, "Yeah, we all had Blackberrys too... but not anymore!" Apparently, they're quite popular here in Cape Town.. I guess I'll see how long I can keep a hold on mine...

I'm going out to dinner tonight with some of the girls in my house, and then probably out to the bars. People go out early here, usually around 9:00, right after dinner. I'm sure everyone in CP is thinking "Whaaat? Life in CP doesn't start until midnight!" But, guys.. this makes so much more sense! You go out, have a good time, and then you can still get a full night's sleep for work the next morning. I'm excited to go out with all of the people in my house.. they are definitely too cool for school. I'm the only American in the house, almost everyone else is from Germany.. and it goes without saying that I'm the only Jew. Oy, and I don't have a menorah with me, so I guess I'll just draw one on a piece of paper and tape it to the window or something. Chrsitmas should be fun, though.. we already drew names for Secret Santa, though I'm the newest one here and don't know anyone that well at all.. I guess alcohol is always a safe bet...? We'll see.

I'm not totally sure when I'm starting my internship, but I think it might be on Monday? Who knows. They're really chill here, so I guess things will fall together eventually. Alright, well I still have some homework to finish for school, and I want to get that out of the way so that I don't have to worry about it later. I'll post again soon!

Jord

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! Sounds like you're having a blast! Post some pictures of the cheetahs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "draw the menorah" idea! And what do mean don't worry? We have six weeks to worry and worry and worry! Have a fantastic time (sounds like you already are.)
    xoxo,
    Amy (one of the mamas)

    ReplyDelete