Really! In my shorts yesterday. But, it's five dollars, so that's maybe a little more exciting than finding a tissue in my pocket. Okay, it was a lot more exciting at first, but then I remembered where I am, and I got really depressed. Such a fleeting moment of joy.
I'm sorry I haven't written in a while, I've been so busy! It was my roommate Andre's birthday this past week, and my house threw a big braai party for him. (For those of you who aren't down with the lingo, a braai is what they call a bbq here). Around 25 people came over with meat and veggies and hung out all night, and then a group went out to the clubs afterward. I made chicken for the second time in my life, and I was surprised at how edible it was! Big success.
Work has been the same. The only reason I'm having fun is because I'm meeting some really amazing people from around the world... including a ton of UMD students and alumni. Seriously- every day I meet at least one person/family that knows someone who attends/attended UMD or went there themselves. Then they take a picture with me and give me their email address, and we high five and they go on their way. So far, I've been invited to two homes for the holidays or Shabbat dinner, and I'm being set up with two "nice, Jewish, South African boys." I feel like I never left home.
On Thursday I called in sick to work because I wasn't feeling well at all, and my friend Coralie and I went to Kirstenbosch Gardens to have a relaxing day instead. We saw plants. Thrilling.
Yesterday I didn't do much. I went out on Friday night to this really awesome club, danced my butt off, and slept in until 11 yesterday morning. I ended up going to the Two Oceans Aquarium with Coralie later that afternoon where we saw giant crabs, angry pufferfish, and talking frogs. Oh, the things you see in Africa. We also got to see some penguins...they are so cute and smelly! Awww..
Did I ever tell you guys about my Cape Point adventure? I can't remember, so I'm just going to tell you now. Sorry if I have already. Anyway, my roommate Sander, our friend Mart and I drove down to Cape Point last week just to say we did. It was the most beautiful drive I've ever been on. We passed by Hout Bay and Chapman's Peak, and about 20 signs that just said "Baboons!" Then we passed by some real baboons that were lying in the street causing a huge traffic jam. Africa has the most inconsiderate baboons. After about 45 minutes, we arrived at Cape Point, where we parked and walked to the light tower to look out at the amazing coast. Nothing too thrilling... except these gummies in the snack shop that were shaped like babies. Why would anyone want to eat a baby in gummy form? Perplexing. On the drive back to Cape Town, we passed by another pack (herd? group? rioting mob?) of baboons that were attempting to break into a car in the middle of the street. Imagine that zoo scene from The Omen (the original, not that shitty remake where they drop a fetus from the balcony... wtf?), but a little bit more humorous. I did not get sunburned that day. Huge success.
Today, I also did not get sunburned. I went on a lovely hike in Kirstenbosch Gardens with a bunch of other kids, and we really had a good time. We had been planning to hike up Table Mountain, but the weather wasn't too nice, so we did a lower trail instead (thank goodness). We stopped at a waterfall, but there wasn't actually any water in it since it's so damn hot during the summer here. I just got back, and I think we're planning on going to the movies tonight. We'll see how it goes.
And here's the big news. I'm quitting my internship. It's not what I thought it was going to be (I learn much more about wildlife at the CP Animal Hospital where I work than I do at Cheetah Outreach), and I'm not having a super great time. I already have all the hours I need in order for it to count for school credit, and I'm ready to move on and see some more of South Africa. I'm booking a ticket for the BazBus, a hop-on-hop-off bus service for backpackers that takes you all the way across the country. While I don't have time to go all the way to the eastern coast, I do have time to travel to Port Elizabeth and back. I'll be staying in random hostels along the way, taking appx. two days to sight-see in each city. I'm really excited to meet people while I'm travelling... that's what it's all about, anyway. And I'm going to ride an ostrich.
So now you are completely updated. Oh, I have some shout-outs to make.
1. Hi Allison! Eef I told you you chav a beautifool body, would you hold eet against me?
and
2. Caleb Fairfax is a huge penis. (Did I get that right, Caleb?)
Some other things on my mind:
I am super jealous that Becca Siegel got to meet Sam Tsui.
I still cannot believe that Rita is dead.
I have so many bug bites.
Love,
Jordyn
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
plants ARE thrilling, jard!! btw, i met sam tsui. HOORAY FOR CHICKEN!!!!!!
ReplyDelete